Dependent Child Visa

Table of Contents

This visa allows a child to stay temporarily while the parent's partner visa is being sorted.

This visa allows a child to stay in Australia temporarily while their parent’s permanent Partner visa application is being processed.

This visa grants your child the following privileges:

  1. The child can move to or stay in Australia until a decision is made on the parent’s permanent Partner visa application.
  2. The child can travel to and from Australia.
  3. The child can work and study in Australia.

Once the child has been granted this visa, they must apply to be added to their parent’s permanent Partner visa application.  

When an application to add the child to their parent’s permanent Partner visa application has been submitted, the child can enrol in Medicare, Australia’s public healthcare scheme.

Eligibility Criteria

You can apply for the child visa if the child meets the following criteria:

  1. The child must be sponsored by the same person who sponsored or nominated their parent's permanent Partner visa application. Sponsorship approval is subject to considerations regarding the parent's criminal history related to offences involving children.
  2. The child must be under 18 years old or if over 18, must be financially dependent on the parent who has the temporary Partner or Dependent Child visa.
  3. The child and any dependants applying with them must meet the health requirement. Dependent children not applying might also need to meet the health requirement.
  4. If the child is 16 or older, they must meet the character requirement. Other family members might also need to meet this requirement.
  5. Have paid back any debts owed to the Australian Government or have a formal arrangement in place.
  6. Children aged 18 or older must read the Life in Australia booklet and sign the Australian Values Statement, pledging to obey Australian laws and respect the Australian way of life.
  7. For children under 18, written consent or legal considerations must align with Australian child order laws.
  8. The visa may only be granted if it is in the best interests of an applicant aged under 18.


Dependency on Parent's Visa

The child must rely on a parent holding a Partner (Provisional) visa (subclass 309), Partner visa (subclass 820), or Dependent Child visa (subclass 445).

  1. Once granted the 445 visa, the child must apply to join their parent's permanent Partner visa application.
  2. In Australia, the child cannot hold another visa with a 'No further stay' condition.


Citizenship by Descent

Alternatively, the child can apply for Australian citizenship by descent if born outside Australia with at least one Australian citizen parent.

Including Other Children

If the child has siblings who want this visa, each sibling needs to apply separately.

  1. You can include your dependent children on your application when applying or before the decision is made..
  2. Dependent children applying must also meet the health requirements.
  3. Family members not coming to Australia might also need to meet the health requirements.


Newborn Child

In case your child is born after you apply, there are procedures to follow.

Contact Us

For those considering our services, we provide an initial meeting. In this session, we will simplify the legal aspects of the visa, explain the process ahead, and address any questions you may have.

To set up an initial discussion with us, please reach out to one of our experienced immigration lawyers at (02) 9590 3987.

Enquiry Form

If you would like to proceed with our firm or require further information, simply complete our enquiry form below or email or phone us.

Full Name
Phone Number
Visa Category

We answer all your immigration questions

Send your message through our Enquiry Form and we’ll respond within 24 hours. Or, if you prefer, you can email or directly call us.

After an initial discussion, we can organise a confidential consultation with our legal experts to discuss all of your immigration needs.

We can come to you, you can come to us, or we can have a video or phone conference – whatever works best for your situation.

We make it easy for you

You can either search by a keyword (e.g. Tourist Visa)
or search by a visa subclass (e.g. 500)