Student Guardian Visa

Table of Contents

This visa is for guardians of students studying in Australia. It is closed to new applications.

You can no longer apply for the Student Guardian visa (subclass 580). It closed for new applications on 1 July 2016. From 1 July 2016, if you need to extend your stay in Australia, you must apply for a Student Visa (subclass 590).

Visa Holders

This information is for people who have already been granted a Student Guardian visa (subclass 580) or for people who applied for the visa on or before 30 June 2016 and for which a decision has not yet been made. It explains your rights and obligations.

  1. If you already have a Student Guardian visa (subclass 580), it will be valid until the expiry date you were given when your visa was granted.
  2. With this visa you can:
    1. stay in Australia for the same length of time as the nominating student, or until the student turns 18 years of age.
    2. study in Australia for up to 20 hours per week in an English Language Intensive Course for Overseas Students (ELICOS) if you lodged your application on or after 24 March 2012.
    3. study in a course other than ELICOS in Australia for up to three months.


  1. Alternative arrangements must be approved by us and the student’s education provider. Discuss your circumstances with the education provider as soon as you know you need to travel.
  2. You must comply with the visa’s ‘no further stay’ condition. This means that you cannot apply to stay in Australia beyond the date specified on your visa, except in certain circumstances.
  3. You must inform the relevant authority if your circumstances change. This includes a new residential address, a new passport, or a pregnancy, birth, divorce, separation, marriage, de facto relationship or death in your family.

Contact Us

For those considering our services, we provide an initial meeting. In this session, we will simplify the legal aspects of the visa, explain the process ahead, and address any questions you may have.

To set up an initial discussion with us, please reach out to one of our experienced immigration lawyers at (02) 9590 3987.

Enquiry Form

If you would like to proceed with our firm or require further information, simply complete our enquiry form below or email or phone us.

Full Name
Phone Number
Visa Category

We answer all your immigration questions

Send your message through our Enquiry Form and we’ll respond within 24 hours. Or, if you prefer, you can email or directly call us.

After an initial discussion, we can organise a confidential consultation with our legal experts to discuss all of your immigration needs.

We can come to you, you can come to us, or we can have a video or phone conference – whatever works best for your situation.

We make it easy for you

You can either search by a keyword (e.g. Tourist Visa)
or search by a visa subclass (e.g. 500)