Training Visa (Subclass 407)

Training Visa

Table of Contents

This visa requires occupational training.

This visa is for individuals seeking workplace-based occupational training activities in Australia to enhance their skills for their job, area of study, field of expertise or professional development training program. 

It’s a temporary visa, typically allowing a stay of up to 2 years. You can leave and re-enter Australia while the visa is valid. Extensions are not possible, but you can apply for another visa to continue your stay.

Eligibility Criteria

To be eligible for this visa, you must:

  1. Have an approved sponsor who nominated you for occupational training, unless the sponsor is an Australian Commonwealth Government agency. There are 3 types of occupational training covered by this visa:
    • Occupational training required for registration
    • Occupational training to improve skills in an eligible occupation
    • Occupational training for capacity building overseas. This includes overseas qualifications, government support or professionals.
  2. Be 18 years or older at the time of the visa decision
  3. Currently hold a valid temporary substantive visa, except for specific visa types, such as:
    • Subclass 403 (Temporary Work - International Relations) visa in the Domestic Worker (Diplomatic or Consular) stream
    • Subclass 771 (Transit) visa
    • Special Purpose visa
  4. Meet the health requirement for yourself and family members applying with you
  5. Meet the character requirement for applicants aged 16 and older, and possibly for other family members
  6. Maintain adequate health insurance for your stay in Australia
  7. Be a genuine temporary entrant, intending to stay temporarily and follow visa conditions
  8. Have functional English language skills
  9. Sign the Australian values statement if you are 18 or older
  10. Have repaid any debts to the Australian Government
  11. Have not had a visa cancelled or an application refused in the past, with certain limitations
  12. Consider the best interests of any applicant under 18

Inclusion of family members

You can add family members to your application when you apply for this visa. Those applying with you must also meet certain health and character requirements.

If you're applying for this visa from outside Australia, family members who are not coming to Australia may also need to meet these health requirements.

For newborn children, learn what to do if they are born after you apply or while you hold the visa.

Once the visa is granted, your family members may be eligible to join you in Australia later as subsequent entrants. They can use the Temporary Work and Activity Visa (Subsequent Entrant) (403, 407, 408) form in ImmiAccount.

Family members applying subsequently should:

  1. Be listed on the nomination form if their sponsor is not a Commonwealth Government Agency
  2. Provide a letter from the sponsor of the primary applicant confirming their sponsorship agreement.

Changing Sponsors

If you decide to train with another organisation while in Australia:

  1. The new organisation must sponsor you by submitting a new nomination.
  2. Once the new nomination is approved, you can continue the remaining occupational training on your current visa without applying for a new one.
  3. If your occupational training program changes, you'll need to submit a new visa application.

If your sponsor ends your training, inform the authorities and consider seeking sponsorship from another organisation.

Apply for a new visa

If you want to apply for a new Training visa (subclass 407) you will need continuing sponsorship. You may have to explain why you could not complete the training within the initial training period.

Where you can apply from

You can be either in or outside of Australia when you apply for the visa and when the application is processed. 

If you lodge your application in Australia, you will be granted a Bridging Visa which will allow you to stay in Australia until the visa is processed. You must remain within Australia for the visa to be granted.

If you lodge the visa application outside of Australia, you must remain outside of Australia for the visa to be granted.

Contact Us

Our experienced immigration lawyers have handled many successful Training Visa applications. We will ensure your application is given the best prospects of success.

For those considering our services, we provide an initial meeting. In this session, we will simplify the legal aspects of the visa, explain the process ahead, and address any questions you may have.

To set up an initial discussion with us, please reach out to one of our experienced immigration lawyers at (02) 9590 3987.

Enquiry Form

If you would like to proceed with our firm or require further information, simply complete our enquiry form below or email or phone us.

Full Name
Phone Number
Visa Category

We answer all your immigration questions

Send your message through our Enquiry Form and we’ll respond within 24 hours. Or, if you prefer, you can email or directly call us.

After an initial discussion, we can organise a confidential consultation with our legal experts to discuss all of your immigration needs.

We can come to you, you can come to us, or we can have a video or phone conference – whatever works best for your situation.

We make it easy for you

You can either search by a keyword (e.g. Tourist Visa)
or search by a visa subclass (e.g. 500)