Electronic Travel Authority (ETA) Visa (Subclass 601)

Electronic Travel Authority

Table of Contents

This visa is a streamlined pathway for eligible passport holders on the list interested in a 12-month stay.

This visa is for travellers staying up to 3 months, including short-term studies, business visits and cruises in Australia. It’s typically valid for 12 months or the duration of your passport’s validity, whichever is shorter,  with a 3-month stay for each entry. If you plan to stay longer than 3 months at a time, you must apply for a different visa.

With this visa you can:

  1. Visit family or friends
  2. Go on a cruise or have a holiday
  3. Undertake some business visitor activities

The Electronic Travel Authority (ETA) begins on the date it is granted unless you hold another substantive visa. Extensions are not possible; you need to apply for a new visa if you wish to stay longer.

You cannot include family members, such as children or spouses, in your ETA application. Each family member must submit a separate application.

If you remain in Australia after your ETA expires and do not hold another valid visa, you may be classified as an unlawful non-citizen and could face removal from Australia.

Eligibility Criteria

You must be outside Australia when you apply for the ETA and outside Australia when the visa is granted. You can apply for this visa if you:

  1. Are a genuine visitor, intending to stay temporarily in Australia and abide by the associated conditions and stay periods.
  2. Meet the health requirement, and if you'll be in healthcare or hospital environments, consider applying for a Visitor visa (subclass 600).
  3. Meet the character requirement. If you have a criminal conviction in any country, provide evidence about your convictions and apply for a Visitor visa (subclass 600). Be aware that providing incorrect information may lead to the cancellation of your ETA.
  4. Have paid back any debt owed to the Australian Government, or have made arrangements for repayment.
  5. Consider the best interests of the child, as this visa might not be granted if it's not in the best interests of an applicant under 18.

List of eligible passports

You can apply for this visa if you hold a passport from:

  1. Andorra
  2. Austria
  3. Belgium
  4. Brunei
  5. Canada
  6. Denmark
  7. Finland
  8. France
  9. Germany
  10. Greece
  11. Hong Kong (SAR of China)
  12. Iceland
  13. Ireland
  14. Italy
  15. Japan
  16. Liechtenstein
  17. Luxembourg
  18. Malaysia
  19. Malta
  20. Monaco
  21. Norway
  22. Portugal
  23. Republic of San Marino
  24. Singapore
  25. South Korea
  26. Spain
  27. Sweden
  28. Switzerland;
  29. Taiwan (excluding official or diplomatic passports)
  30. The Netherlands
  31. United Kingdom—British Citizen United Kingdom—British National (Overseas)
  32. United States of America
  33. Vatican City

Cruise Passenger Visa Requirements

If you plan to enter Australia during a cruise, it's important to note that your visa is necessary. In the case of a round trip cruise starting from Australia, the time spent on the cruise is considered part of your stay in Australia, and you are not regarded as having left the country. Therefore, a round trip cruise will not reset the stay period on your existing visa. To determine if your cruise qualifies as a round trip cruise, it's advisable to consult your cruise operator or travel agent for clarification.

Business Visitor Activities and Restrictions

As a business visitor to Australia, you are permitted to engage in the following activities:

  1. Make general business or employment inquiries.
  2. Investigate, negotiate, enter into, or review a business contract.
  3. Conduct activities as part of an official government visit.
  4. Participate in conferences, trade fairs, or seminars; however, the organisers cannot provide payment for your participation.

However, there are certain restrictions. You cannot:

  1. Engage in employment for or provide services to a business or organisation based in Australia.
  2. Sell goods or services directly to the public.

Please note that if you work or intend to work in Australia, your ETA may be cancelled and you may face removal or refusal of entry to Australia. To work in Australia, you must hold a visa specifically permitting work.

Other Visas

Holding another substantive visa at the same time as an ETA will affect how you enter Australia:

  1. If you have a Maritime Crew or Special Purpose visa along with an ETA, both will be active concurrently, and you'll enter Australia on both visas, staying for the longer period, which may exceed 3 months.
  2. For any other substantive visa and an ETA together, you'll enter on the other substantive visa, with the ETA becoming active when the other visa ends. The 3-month ETA stay period starts upon entering Australia.

To stay beyond the 3-month ETA period, ensure your other substantive visa is valid for more than 3 months.

Contact Us

Our experienced immigration lawyers have handled many successful Electronic Travel Authority applications. We will ensure your application is given the best prospects of success.

For those considering our services, we provide an initial meeting. In this session, we will simplify the legal aspects of the visa, explain the process ahead, and address any questions you may have.

To set up an initial discussion with us, please reach out to one of our experienced immigration lawyers at (02) 9590 3987.

Enquiry Form

If you would like to proceed with our firm or require further information, simply complete our enquiry form below or email or phone us.

Full Name
Phone Number
Visa Category

We answer all your immigration questions

Send your message through our Enquiry Form and we’ll respond within 24 hours. Or, if you prefer, you can email or directly call us.

After an initial discussion, we can organise a confidential consultation with our legal experts to discuss all of your immigration needs.

We can come to you, you can come to us, or we can have a video or phone conference – whatever works best for your situation.

We make it easy for you

You can either search by a keyword (e.g. Tourist Visa)
or search by a visa subclass (e.g. 500)