eVisitor Visa (Subclass 651)


Table of Contents

This visa is for individual tourists or business visitors interested in a 3-month stay in the next 12-months.

This visa is for individuals travelling to Australia as tourists, such as for holidays or cruises, to visit family or friends, or for business purposes.

With this visa you can:

  1. Visit family or friends
  2. Go on a cruise or have a holiday
  3. Undertake business visitor activities
  4. Study or train for up to 3 months, in some circumstances.

The eVisitor visa is a temporary visa valid for 12 months. You can enter Australia at any time during its validity and stay for up to 3 months at a time, with multiple entries allowed. It begins on the date it is granted, and extensions are not possible; you need to apply for another visa for longer stays.

For further short stays or extended holidays, you may consider a Tourist stream Visitor visa (subclass 600), which must be applied for while within Australia. If you need to stay longer for different reasons, explore other visa options

Family members cannot be included in the application; each family member, including those on your passport, must submit a separate application.

Eligibility Criteria

You can apply for this visa if you:

  1. Meet the health requirement.
  2. Meet the character requirement. If you have a criminal conviction in any country, consider applying for a Visitor visa (subclass 600) instead. Note that arriving in Australia on an eVisitor with a criminal conviction may result in refusal of entry.
  3. Have paid your debts to the Australian Government. If you or any family members owe the Australian Government money, you or they must have paid it back or arranged repayment.
  4. Are a genuine visitor, intending to stay temporarily in Australia and abide by any conditions and stay periods attached to your visa.
  5. Have enough money to support yourself during your stay in Australia and to leave the country at the end of your visit.
  6. Consider the best interests of any applicant under 18, as this visa may not be granted if it is not in their best interests.

Note: You must apply for the visa while outside Australia and wait for written confirmation of the subclass 651 visa grant before making travel arrangements to Australia.

List of eligible passports

You can apply for this visa if you hold a passport from:

  1. Andorra
  2. Austria
  3. Belgium
  4. Bulgaria
  5. Croatia
  6. Cyprus
  7. Czech Republic
  8. Denmark
  9. Estonia
  10. Finland
  11. France
  12. Germany
  13. Greece
  14. Hungary
  15. Iceland
  16. Ireland
  17. Italy
  18. Latvia
  19. Liechtenstein
  20. Lithuania
  21. Luxembourg
  22. Malta
  23. Monaco
  24. The Netherlands
  25. Norway
  26. Poland
  27. Portugal
  28. Romania
  29. Republic of San Marino
  30. Slovak Republic
  31. Slovenia
  32. Spain
  33. Sweden
  34. Switzerland
  35. United Kingdom – British Citizen
  36. Vatican City

Cruise Passenger Visa Requirements

If you plan to enter Australia during a cruise, it's important to note that your visa is necessary. In the case of a round trip cruise starting from Australia, the time spent on the cruise is considered part of your stay in Australia, and you are not regarded as having left the country. Therefore, a round trip cruise will not reset the stay period on your existing visa. To determine if your cruise qualifies as a round trip cruise, it's advisable to consult your cruise operator or travel agent for clarification.

Business Visitor Activities and Restrictions

As a business visitor to Australia, you are permitted to engage in the following activities:

  1. Make general business or employment inquiries.
  2. Investigate, negotiate, enter into, or review a business contract.
  3. Conduct activities as part of an official government visit.
  4. Participate in conferences, trade fairs, or seminars; however, the organisers cannot provide payment for your participation.

However, there are certain restrictions. You cannot:

  1. Engage in employment for or provide services to a business or organisation based in Australia.
  2. Sell goods or services directly to the public.

If you want to do short-term work in Australia that isn't a business visitor activity, consider applying for a temporary work visa.

Contact Us

Our experienced immigration lawyers have handled many successful eVisitor applications. We will ensure your application is given the best prospects of success.

For those considering our services, we provide an initial meeting. In this session, we will simplify the legal aspects of the visa, explain the process ahead, and address any questions you may have.

To set up an initial discussion with us, please reach out to one of our experienced immigration lawyers at (02) 9590 3987.

Enquiry Form

If you would like to proceed with our firm or require further information, simply complete our enquiry form below or email or phone us.

Full Name
Phone Number
Visa Category

We answer all your immigration questions

Send your message through our Enquiry Form and we’ll respond within 24 hours. Or, if you prefer, you can email or directly call us.

After an initial discussion, we can organise a confidential consultation with our legal experts to discuss all of your immigration needs.

We can come to you, you can come to us, or we can have a video or phone conference – whatever works best for your situation.

We make it easy for you

You can either search by a keyword (e.g. Tourist Visa)
or search by a visa subclass (e.g. 500)