Contributory Aged Parent (Temporary) Visa

Table of Contents

This visa is for aged individuals who want to move in with their children.

This temporary visa lets the aged parent of a settled Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen stay temporarily in Australia.

This visa grants you the following privileges:

  1. You can live in Australia for up to 2 years.
  2. You can work and study in Australia; however, government support will not be provided.
  3. The visa also allows you to apply for a permanent Contributory Aged Parent visa (subclass 864).

Eligibility Criteria

You are ineligible if you have already applied for or hold a Sponsored Parent (Temporary) (subclass 870) visa.

This visa includes the following criteria:

  1. You need sponsorship from an eligible sponsor, typically an eligible child. If your child is under 18, alternative sponsorship by a relative or community organisation is possible. Approval is required for the sponsorship.
  2. You must meet the age requirement, which is aligned with the eligibility age for receiving the Australian age pension, currently undergoing a gradual increase from 65 to 67 years.
  3. Your current visa does not have a no further stay condition.
  4. You and your family members applying with you must meet the health requirements. Other non-migrating family members may also need to meet this requirement.
  5. Sign the Australian values statement if you are 18 years of age or older, confirming your commitment to respect the Australian way of life and obey Australian laws.
  6. You must meet the balance-of-family test. You satisfy the balance-of-family test if:
    • At least half of your children and stepchildren are eligible children.
    • More eligible children are living in Australia than in any other single country.
  7. You and your family must have paid back any money owed to the Australian Government or have a formal arrangement in place to repay it.
  8. Your immigration history is considered, and you may be ineligible if you had a visa cancelled or a previous application refused.
  9. The granting of this visa is in the best interests of the applicant aged under 18.

Inclusion of Other Family Members

When applying for this visa, you have the option to include other members of your family. It's essential to provide details for all family members, regardless of whether they intend to migrate or not. Even if your partner is not applying for the visa with you, their information must be included in the application.

Family members who apply for the visa must meet specific health and character requirements. Additionally, those family members who do not plan to come to Australia may still be subject to health and character requirements.


Newborn Child

In the case your child is born after you apply, there are procedures to follow. It's worth noting that an additional charge is applied for each family member included in your application.

Contact Us

For those considering our services, we provide an initial meeting. In this session, we will simplify the legal aspects of the visa, explain the process ahead, and address any questions you may have.

To set up an initial discussion with us, please reach out to one of our experienced immigration lawyers at (02) 9590 3987.

Enquiry Form

If you would like to proceed with our firm or require further information, simply complete our enquiry form below or email or phone us.

Full Name
Phone Number
Visa Category

We answer all your immigration questions

Send your message through our Enquiry Form and we’ll respond within 24 hours. Or, if you prefer, you can email or directly call us.

After an initial discussion, we can organise a confidential consultation with our legal experts to discuss all of your immigration needs.

We can come to you, you can come to us, or we can have a video or phone conference – whatever works best for your situation.

We make it easy for you

You can either search by a keyword (e.g. Tourist Visa)
or search by a visa subclass (e.g. 500)