Vocational Education and Training Sector Visa

Table of Contents

This visa is for international students who have been accepted to study in a registered Certificate I-IV. It is closed to new applications.

You can no longer apply for the Vocational Education and Training Sector visa (subclass 572). It closed for new applications on 1 July 2016. From 1 July 2016, if you need to extend your stay in Australia, you must apply for a Student Visa (subclass 500).

Visa Holders

This information is for people who have already been granted a Vocational Education and Training Sector visa (subclass 572) or for people who applied for the visa on or before 30 June 2016 and for which a decision has not yet been made. It explains your rights and obligations.

  1. If you already have a Vocational Education and Training Sector visa (subclass 572), it will be valid until the expiry date you were given when your visa was granted.
  2. With this visa:
    1. you can study in Australia
    2. eligible dependent family members can accompany you to Australia
    3. when you have commenced your course of study in Australia, you can work up to 40 hours per fortnight while your course is in session and unlimited hours during scheduled course breaks. You must also comply with State and Territory workplace laws.
    4. your family members can work up to 40 hours per fortnight provided you have commenced your course of study in Australia.
    5. your family members who are 18 or older can study in Australia for up to three months. If they want to study for more than three months they must apply for their own student visa. The application can be made in Australia.



You must comply with your visa conditions while studying and living in Australia or your visa could be cancelled. You must also comply with Australian laws.

  1. In addition to ensuring that you comply with your visa conditions, there are also requirements under the Education Services for Overseas Students (ESOS) National Code that apply if you want to change your education provider.
  2. If you are under 18 years of age you must maintain adequate accommodation, support and general welfare arrangements for the duration of your visa or until you turn 18.
  3. Some visas are issued with a 'no further stay' condition. This condition means that you cannot apply to stay in Australia beyond the date specified on your visa, except in certain circumstances.
  4. You must tell the authorities if your circumstances change. This includes a new residential address, a new passport, or a pregnancy, birth, divorce, separation, marriage, de facto relationship or death in your family.

Family Member

Your dependent family members must maintain their visa conditions. A breach of these conditions may result in your visa being cancelled and you may have to leave Australia.

Your family members must:

  1. remain a member of your family for the duration of their stay in Australia
  2. have adequate financial support
  3. maintain adequate health cover
  4. work no more than 40 hours per fortnight and can only start work after you have commenced your course
  5. attend school if they are of school age.

Important: It is your responsibility to ensure that your family members meet the above conditions.

Contact Us

For those considering our services, we provide an initial meeting. In this session, we will simplify the legal aspects of the visa, explain the process ahead, and address any questions you may have.

To set up an initial discussion with us, please reach out to one of our experienced immigration lawyers at (02) 9590 3987.

Enquiry Form

If you would like to proceed with our firm or require further information, simply complete our enquiry form below or email or phone us.

Full Name
Phone Number
Visa Category

We answer all your immigration questions

Send your message through our Enquiry Form and we’ll respond within 24 hours. Or, if you prefer, you can email or directly call us.

After an initial discussion, we can organise a confidential consultation with our legal experts to discuss all of your immigration needs.

We can come to you, you can come to us, or we can have a video or phone conference – whatever works best for your situation.

We make it easy for you

You can either search by a keyword (e.g. Tourist Visa)
or search by a visa subclass (e.g. 500)