Contributory Aged Parent Visa

Table of Contents

This permanent visa lets the aged parent of a settled Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen stay in Australia.

This visa is for aged parents of settled Australian citizens, Australian permanent residents, or eligible New Zealand citizens, allowing them to reside permanently in Australia.

This visa grants you the following privileges:

  1. To stay in Australia indefinitely.
  2. To work and study in Australia.
  3. To enrol in Medicare, Australia’s public healthcare scheme.
  4. To sponsor your relatives to come to Australia.
  5. To travel to and from Australia for 5 years.
  6. To apply for Australian citizenship, if eligible.

Eligibility Criteria

You are ineligible for this visa if you have already applied for or hold a Sponsored Parent visa (Temporary) (subclass 870).

This visa includes the following criteria:

  1. You need sponsorship from an eligible sponsor, typically an eligible child. If your child is under 18, alternative sponsorship by a relative or community organisation is possible. Approval is required for the sponsorship.
  2. You must meet the age requirement, which is aligned with the eligibility age for receiving the Australian age pension, currently undergoing a gradual increase from 65 to 67 years.
  3. You and other family members applying with you must meet the health requirements. Other non-migrating family members may also need to meet this requirement.
  4. Sign the Australian values statement if you are 18 years of age or older, confirming your commitment to respect the Australian way of life and obey Australian laws.
  5. You must meet the balance-of-family test. You satisfy the balance-of-family test if:
    • At least half of your children and stepchildren are eligible children.
    • More eligible children are living in Australia than in any other single country.
  6. To be eligible, you must secure an assurance of support, ensuring that you and your accompanying family members won't need government assistance upon entering Australia with this visa.
  7. You and your family must have paid back any money owed to the Australian Government or have a formal arrangement in place to repay it.
  8. Your immigration history is considered, and you may be ineligible if you had a visa cancelled or a previous application refused.
  9. The granting of this visa is in the best interests of the applicant aged under 18.

Inclusion of Other Family Members

When applying for this visa, you have the option to include members of your family unit. It's essential to provide details for all family members, regardless of whether they intend to migrate or not. Even if your partner is not applying for the visa with you, their information should be included in the application.

Family members who apply for the visa must meet specific health and character requirements. Additionally, those family members who do not plan to come to Australia may still be subject to health and character requirements.


Newborn Child

In the case your child is born after you apply, there are procedures to follow.

Transitioning to Permanent Residency

If you have a Contributory Aged Parent (Temporary) (subclass 884) visa, you can pursue permanent residency through a two-step process. First, apply for a Contributory Aged Parent (Temporary) (subclass 884) visa. This approach allows you to manage the visa costs over several years. Additionally, you've already fulfilled the balance-of-family test.

Contact Us

For those considering our services, we provide an initial meeting. In this session, we will simplify the legal aspects of the visa, explain the process ahead, and address any questions you may have.

To set up an initial discussion with us, please reach out to one of our experienced immigration lawyers at (02) 9590 3987.

Enquiry Form

If you would like to proceed with our firm or require further information, simply complete our enquiry form below or email or phone us.

Full Name
Phone Number
Visa Category

We answer all your immigration questions

Send your message through our Enquiry Form and we’ll respond within 24 hours. Or, if you prefer, you can email or directly call us.

After an initial discussion, we can organise a confidential consultation with our legal experts to discuss all of your immigration needs.

We can come to you, you can come to us, or we can have a video or phone conference – whatever works best for your situation.

We make it easy for you

You can either search by a keyword (e.g. Tourist Visa)
or search by a visa subclass (e.g. 500)