Skilled Independent Visa (Subclass 189)

Skilled Independent Visa

A migration lawyer in Sydney diligently signing immigration documents at their desk.

Table of Contents

This visa is for an individual who wants to work in Australia. Individuals may bring family.

This is a permanent visa that may be right for you if you have an educational background and/or work experience that is directly relevant to an occupation that is listed on the “Medium and Long Term Strategic Skills List” (MLTSSL).

Eligibility Criteria

To be eligible for this visa, you must:

  1. Meet the pass mark in the skilled migration points test, which is currently 60 points. You can be awarded points for a number of factors, most commonly, your age, your educational qualifications, your work experience and your English language ability, though points are also awarded for a range of other factors. We will advise you as to whether you meet the points test after our initial discussion with you
  2. Be aged between 18 and 44 (inclusive)
  3. Nominate an occupation on the MLTSSL
  4. Pass a “Skills Assessment” in your nominated occupation with your relevant skills assessment authority
  5. Sit an English language exam to show that you have “Competent” English or higher, meaning you must score 6.0 or more on all four components of the IELTS test, or an equivalent score on another English language test accepted by the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP)
  6. Meet health and character requirements

Skills Assessment

All applicants must pass a skills assessment to be eligible for this visa. The skills assessment authority which will assess your skills depends on what occupation you are applying under.

The eligibility criteria for each skills assessment authority is different.  For the majority of skills assessment authorities, the assessment will be based on the applicant’s qualifications and work experience, though in some cases English language ability and registration in Australia is required.

Invitation Only

The visa is by invitation only. You must first lodge an “Expression of Interest” with the DIBP and then be invited to apply for the visa by the DIBP.

Where you can lodge an application

You can lodge the visa either inside or outside of Australia. If you lodge the application in Australia, you will be granted a Bridging Visa which will allow you to stay in Australia until your visa application is finalised. If you lodge your application in Australia, you must be in Australia for the visa to be granted.

If you lodge your application outside of Australia, you must be outside of Australia for the visa to be granted.

Contact Us

Our experienced immigration lawyers have handled many successful Skilled Independent Visa applications. We will ensure your application is given the best prospects of success.

We offer all our prospective clients an initial meeting, during which we will thoroughly explain the law surrounding this visa to you and inform you of the process moving forward.

To organise an initial consultation with us, please contact one of our experienced immigration lawyers on (02) 9590 3987.

Enquiry Form

If you would like to proceed with our firm or require further information, simply complete our enquiry form below or email or phone us.

Full Name
Phone Number
Visa Category

We answer all your immigration questions

Send your message through our Enquiry Form and we’ll respond within 24 hours. Or, if you prefer, you can email or directly call us.

After an initial discussion, we can organise a confidential consultation with our legal experts to discuss all of your immigration needs.

We can come to you, you can come to us, or we can have a video or phone conference – whatever works best for your situation.

We make it easy for you

You can either search by a keyword (e.g. Tourist Visa)
or search by a visa subclass (e.g. 500)